Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Doing and Thinking

While vacuuming the play room downstairs, I took the easel out of its case that I asked for for Christmas last year, placed it in a temporary location, and drew a picture. Then, I pulled out the "learning the keyboard" book and CD I bought several years ago, and practiced the first lesson on my keyboard. I felt like I finally started to do and learn the creative things I have been wanting to do in retirement.

Once I finished the only cleaning I planned for the day, I popped open a Guinness and put my feet up. "Larry, do you want to go out tonight?" I asked. "Sure, we can do that," was my husband's response. So we ended up having a nice dinner in Fall River, MA at a restaurant on a reservoir, and went to see the movie, Spy, starring Melissa McCarthy. The AMC theater in North Dartmouth was completely renovated while we were in SC, and it is just beautiful! When we buy tickets, we also must choose seats. The seats are really comfy, leather (I think) electric recliners. Watching the movie was like having the complete system in our home! The movie was hilarious, and we were incredibly comfortable watching it. All in all, it was a great day and night. I felt accomplished, and we had fun.

This morning, the Sparrows are nest building in the new birdhouse Larry made. I took some great pictures of them through our living room window carrying grass into it, but have not succeeded in getting shots of them having sex on top of the house. Larry watched them, but I have yet to capture it. I know I could sit there for hours waiting, but I don't need the shot that badly. Before coffee, I went out to cut bouquets of the red Knock Out roses in our front yard. I used the basket my daughter-in-law found for me, so I could feel like an English Lady cutting flowers in her garden in my long flowing dress and big hat tied under my chin with a ribbon.

After some late morning intimacy, Larry hung some pictures in our guest room for me. They are heavy and high, so hanging them was a little easier for him. We'll head out and work in the yard after lunch. It is a gorgeous day. I understand that my life doesn't have to be "jet-setting" or big in a grand-gesture kind of way. Life is about the little things. It's okay to appreciate and do lots of little things, and rest in between to read or nap. I must keep drilling this permission to be smaller, but no less great, into my psyche. I am not small, but my life is getting smaller. My appreciation, gratitude, and accomplishments do not have to be diminished, just appreciated for what they are. As was once said on "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "We no longer have a need for material things. Our lives are about bettering ourselves instead."

This shift is how I want to live out my retirement: delving into my creative side, and having fun. Now if I can only keep my Self convinced it is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment